The Church Inspection Notebook of Archdeacon James Randall 1855-1873 and other records
Edited by Sabina Sutherland
Published by Berkshire Record Society in 2015
ISBN: 978 0 9573937 2 1
Between 1855 and 1859 Archdeacon James Randall visited 172 churches and recorded his impressions of the church, features of architectural interest and matters requiring his attention. Beyond his general desire that the churches in the archdeaconry be well maintained, he frequently drew the attention of the incumbents and churchwardens to the state of the church's roof, expressed concern at the state and location of fonts, ordered that tables of degrees of consanguinity be provided where they were lacking, and recommended that an iron chest be provided for the storage of both registers and communion plate.
The three books that comprise this volume are Archdeacon Randall's church inspection notebook, 1855-1859, a facsimile of The Ecclesiastical and Architectural Topograpy of Berkshire, published in 1849, and the minute book of the Binfield church enlargement committee, 1848-1850.